Log in

No account? Create an account

adoptedintheuk's Journal

Adopted in the UK
Posting Access:
All Members , Moderated
This community is for those who were adopted within the United Kingdom, or from the United Kingdom. Dealing with mainly UK-centric issues - and certainly UK based laws - this community is intended as both a support, and discussion community.

PLEASE read the community rules and guidelines BEFORE posting!

Adoption - When you adopt a child you become the child's permanent legal parent. The process means that the adoptive parents have the same rights and responsibilities as if the child had been born to them.

The child’s natural parents lose their rights and responsibilities forever and cannot ask the matter to be reconsidered, even if their circumstances change.

There are various circumstances in which an adoption can take place. They are:
  • Joint adoption by a natural parent and a step-parent.
  • Adoption by a relative of the child.
  • Adoption by private foster parents.
  • Adoption of a child in the care of a local authority or adoption agency to a stranger.
Definition taken from: adoption-net's support glossary.

All people adopted before 12 November 1975 are required to attend an interview with a counsellor before being given information, which will lead them to their original birth certificate (except those who were adopted in Scotland).

People adopted after that date have the option of counselling, but will have to see someone if they wish to have access to their file/records. Counselling is arranged either at the Family Record Centre, 1 Myddleton Street, London, EC1 RUW or at the Adoption Society which arranged the adoption, or at the Social Services Department of the Local Authority in which the adopted person is living.

Since October 1991 people adopted in the UK but living abroad can receive counselling in the country in which they live. You should check with your Social Services who are accredited to provide counselling in your State etc. As the register of accredited persons is constantly being updated, you may need to write to ONS, to find out who is providing this service. You should then apply to ONS giving details of the body or organisation that has agreed to do counselling.

Community Rules/Guidelines